Thursday 31 March 2011

Rudolf Koivu

One of my earliest influences was Rudolf Koivu.
He was a Finnish illustrator, born 1890, died 1946 and published his first illustrations 1911, a year after finishing art school. He wanted to be a "real artist", but had to illustrate to earn his living. His paintings aren't special, but his illustrations are amazing... in my mind ;-)

 Raul Roine: Glass bells

H.C.Andersen; Snow Queen


H.C.Andersen; The Steadfast Tin Soldier


I should have the illustration for Andersen's fairytale about the guy who traveled in a suitcase, and the New Year's feast for Raul Roine... I still remember how in the fairytale a lady was described to be the most beautiful woman in the world, "looking like your mother", and how I thought Rudolf Koivu's thin, dark-haired beauty was so much prettier than my short and blonde mother, but I'm getting him now :-D My mother IS the most beautiful woman in the world, and the older she gets, the more beautiful she gets :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment