Monday 2 May 2011

Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty...



" I never could stomach fake..."
- DaphneYvonne Bradshaw

A lot of "modern art" is pure crap - even literally! And we "stomach" it, because it's "art". I don't understand half the "modern art". Like taking another person's work and putting your name on it, like Marcel Duchamp's Fountain. "The most influential artwork of the 20th century". The most influential fake, fraud, scam and prank of the art world. It must be some sort of "Emperor's Clothes" effect. The high and mighty art professors cannot admit they have been fed crap for 100 years, so they keep feeding crap to their students.


I don't think everything Picasso made was wonderful. Most of it is not. My favorite work of his is She Goat. :-)
I also like the Blue Nude.
and, frankly, even though I'm an Estetist, I think Guernica is ingenious. One of the best depictions of war and destruction ever painted. In that it works that it's damn ugly.



Also, I kind of like that apple painting, even though I wonder if it really is Picasso... I doubt it. But I like it :-D

Nevertheless... Picasso doesn't make me cry. Jeremy Lipking does. 
I wish I could paint like Jeremy. 
I wish I had Pablo's fame and money. I wish I could just draw three lines on a plate and sell it for millions. 
I could sell those plates and use the money to paint real art. 

P.S. 24/5-11 
"A recent study in neuroaesthetics conducted by Professor Semir Zeki of England, gives scientific validity to an idea which artists have subscribed to for centuries:  looking at beautiful art creates as much delight as being in love.
In a series of pioneering brain-mapping experiments, Zeki, a Professor of Neurobiology and the Chair of Neuroaesthetics at University College London, concluded that viewing beautiful art releases a surge of the neurotransmitter dopamine into the orbito-frontal cortex of the brain, stimulating the same 'feel-good' centers of the brain as are affected by romantic love.
"What we found," said Zeki, "is when you look at art - whether it is a landscape, a still life, an abstract, or a portrait - there is strong activity in that part of the brain related to pleasure."
-- Underpaintings: Almost like being in love

No comments:

Post a Comment